What is more comforting than macaroni and cheese? It’s the ULTIMATE comfort food for me. I was that kid that begged for mac & cheese for dinner. BEGGED for it. LOVED it…. and I didn’t stop eating it when I grew up. Because I still love it!!
But since we started making healthy changes, I knew my beloved mac & cheese had to go. You know the kind. The one with the squeeze cheese…. the sharp cheddar tang still calls to me.
As we continue our week of trying new recipes, this one comes (once again) from Fixate – the 21 Day Fix approved cookbook. And it’s safe to say, we have a winner. Check out our Periscope review here:
And now – the recipe!
Fixate Cookbook Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli and Chicken
Serves: 8 (2 cups each)
- 4 oz of dry whole wheat macaroni
- 4 tsp organic grass-fed butter (or extra virgin organic coconut oil)
- 2 TBSP unbleached whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/4 cups of grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups of chopped, cooked chicken
- 4 cups of chopped steamed broccoli
- 1 tsp sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1/2 tsp of ground pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions (do not use salt or oil if suggested in directions), set aside
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat
- Add flour, cook, whisking for a minute or until brown (watch to make sure it doesn’t burn!)
- Wisk in almond milk and cook 1 to 2 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened and no lumps remain
- Reduce heat to low and add cheese, whisking constantly for 2-3 minutes, or until melted
- Add chicken, broccoli, salt, and pepper and cook until heated through
- Serve immediately